You don't want to ruin your new tattoo do you? Aftercare is an absolute must, so we got the advice you need!
When you get a tattoo, taking care of it is just as important as getting the physical tattoo itself. If you don’t care for your tattoo correctly, you can damage the healing process in which could in fact ruin the detail on your piece. Half the job is for the artist to make it as perfect as possible, and then your job is to go home and do the aftercare process perfectly. We are here to tell you how to take care of your tattoo to allow it to heal perfectly, so you don’t make the mistake of losing any details or ruining your tattoo completely!
1. Listen to your artist’s advice; if anyone is going to know how to heal their work, it’s them! Ask them personally when you are done what aftercare they suggest for the best result. They want your tattoo to be perfect, so trust in the artist.
2. The artist will put a bandage on your tattoo, which you must leave on for 2-24 hours. Be careful when you are removing the bandage as well.
3. This one is commonly mistaken, but wash your tattoo gentle. Rinse the tattoo over, but do not over water it (such as taking a bath).
4. Leave it uncovered with no ointment on for 20 minutes to an hour after every wash to let it air dry.
5. Apply lightly (do not cover it heavily) an ointment such as Bacitracin or A&D.
6. Wash the tattoo 3-5 times a day, and dry with padding with a paper towel (do not rub or use a towel).
7. Once it begins scabbing, stop using the ointment and moisturize the tattoo 3-5 times a day. You’ll want to do this until the tattoo is completely healed.
8. Avoid too much sunlight, that’s a major killer for a new tattoo!
Make sure you follow the directions, as it’s just as important as getting it done. Now, go enjoy your new tattoo you cool kid you!